Are You a Risk Taker?
Most people in our lives are not comfortable with risk-taking. To them it’s too . . . RISKY. Buy why?
Why Aren’t People Comfortable with Risk-Taking?
- People fear the unknown
- People fear failure
Life is easy when we play it lightly. It’s easy to do what everyone else does. Playing it safe, staying in our zone.What do they say? When we don’t become our dreams, we actually shrink.
Fill in these blanks:
- What is one thing you fear because it is unknown? ______________________________________
- What is one thing you fear because you might fail at it? __________________________________
5 Tips for Taking Better Risks
If you know you would benefit from taking more risks but find yourself paralyzed by fear or negative thoughts, here are 5 tips to help you take on the kind of risks that can genuinely improve your life.
- Do a PRO & CON list. Step one: write out a list of all the pros & cons. By looking at positive & negative outcomes side-by-side, you can determine whether a risk is worth taking.
- Get over the fear of failure. Hard to do. But you can. Sweating the worst-case scenario can cause you to skip the risk completely – & stay stagnant. If you can let go of anxiety & focus on the positive outcomes of risk, you may channel your inner risk-taker. Remember: What’s the worst that can happen?
- Think of the good. The idea of change can be scary, & risk-taking involves unknown levels of change. Rather than focus on all the potential negative outcomes, think about why you’re considering changing your present situation. Remember: How good can this be?
- Start small. Instead of taking the biggest risk possible, take small steps that can get you on the same path.
- Hang around risk-takers. You may know people who overcame their own fear of risk to try something a bit scary. Maybe they started a new business. Maybe they found a way to make new friends in a new city. Get with them & find out how they overcame the fear of taking risks.